Monday, May 31, 2010

The Breakfast Club

You must agree; no one makes films like these anymore. Look at the teen flicks of today. I don't wanna be a traitor to my generation, but they suck. Most of them are about an unpopular girl who suddenly becomes popular. Or about a jock falling in love with a nerdy girl. Or worse, a group of rich spoiled brats who (barely) entertain the movie audience by shopping and gossiping and doing totally unnecessary stuff...with an added dose of drama.

I first watched "The Breakfast Club" a year ago at my friend's place, and I instantly fell in love with it. And seriously, who wouldn't? Deep inside us, we all are either a brain, a jock, a princess, a rebel, or a basket case. Personally, I kinda relate to Brian, with his struggles of wanting more friends and with the pressure people put on him. And don't we all have terror teachers like Mr. Vernon? I also loved Bender's witty mouth and Allison's...er...uniqueness. The theme song "Don't You Forget About Me" by the Simple Minds was a New Wave masterpiece. And Molly Ringwald was so pretty back then!

If there was a Teen's Choice Awards ceremony way back in 1985, this movie would have taken the surfboard. It speaks to so many people, telling them that "hey, you're not alone, I'm going through this too". Maybe that's what made John Hughes a great film director/scriptwriter. He created characters that you could relate to, characters that have been and are still well loved. That makes him one of my favorite movie directors. :)

If you haven't seen this movie yet, watch it. You'd be pleasantly surprised. Especially if you're in your teens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have nothing nice to say, then stay away from the comment box.